Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wash Po-Clinton to Gingrich During Monica Scandal: "You and I Are Alike"


(Story reported by Matt DeLong for the Washington Post)

Marvin Olasky of the Christian magazine, World, has a new interview out (subscription req'd.) with former GOP House majority leader and FreedomWorks Chairman Dick Armey. The Texas Republican alleges that former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and ex-President Bill Clinton used to "bond" over wine and cigars while sharing stories about their respective marital infidelities. From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's excerpt from the interview:
Olasky: In 1998 during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, a reporter asked you what you would do if you were in President Clinton's position. You're said to have replied, "I would not have gotten a chance to resign. I would be lying in a pool of my own blood with Mrs. Armey standing over me saying, how do I reload this thing?" True?
Armey: True. By the way, she outshoots me with a handgun and knows how to reload it.
Olasky: Who did know?
Armey: When I heard that Newt had been carrying on an affair for all the years that we'd worked together, I went home and said, "Honey, I had no idea about this." She said, "Of course not. You're the last person in town Newt would have wanted to know about this." Newt was scared of me. What I discovered: Clinton found out about the Gingrich affair and called Newt over to the White House for a private meeting between the two of them. Clinton said, "You and I are alike." Which meant, shut up about Monica or I'll start telling your story.
 (Click here to read the full story on the Washington Post website.)

No comments: