Tuesday, October 5, 2010

MSNBC-"Alphaville", Tenn.; County Lets House Burn To The Ground

The fire-ravaged house of Gene Cranick, Obion County, TN, whose municipality let burn to the ground because he didn't pay the $75 fee: fixfulton.org
(Story reported by MSNBC.com)

Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat. 

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee. The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.

(Click here to read the full story on the MSNBC.com website.)

No comments: