Monday, November 8, 2010

NY Times-Bill Clinton On Lil' Wayne: "I Hope He Has A Good Life Now"

Former President Bill Clinton and Hip Hop megastar Dwayne "Lil Wayne" Carter
(Story reported by Dave Itzkoff for the NY Times)

Among those who are looking forward to the rapper Lil Wayne’s scheduled release on Thursday from Rikers Island – besides his family, friends and the music industry, of course – is former President Bill Clinton. In an interview Tuesday with the Pittsburgh radio station 96.1 FM, Mr. Clinton said he hoped Lil Wayne would go on to lead “a good life” and set an example for his fans and his peers.

Appearing on the Morning Freak Show With Mikey and Big Bob, Mr. Clinton was asked how excited he was about Lil Wayne’s release.

Without missing a beat, Mr. Clinton replied: “I know this is kind of a funny question for you to ask me, but I think, you know, my daughter introduced me to rap and hip-hop music after I said some things she thought were not very smart. She said: ‘Dad, you need to listen to a lot of these people. They’re smart. This guy’s smart, and he’s got ability and he’s got a new chance now.’ ”

Mr. Clinton continued: “And what I hope is, is that this is not just something to brand him as a cool guy, but that it’ll never happen again to him. I think a lot of these people, they don’t get successful, just like in any other area of life, by being really dumb. They’re really smart, but a lot of them have had tough lives and they almost think it’s cool to get in trouble every now and then. Or they don’t know how to stay out. What I hope will happen is that he has a good life now.”

(Click here to read the full story on the NY Times website.)

No comments: