Friday, October 15, 2010

AJC-No Good Deed Goes Unpunished; T.I. Headed Back To Jail

T.I.: askmen.com
(Story reported by Bill Rankin for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

T.I. helped talk a jumper down from a Midtown building earlier this week, but on Friday he could not talk a federal judge into giving him another chance to stay out of prison.

Declaring that T.I. "has had about the limit of second chances," U.S. District Judge Charles Pannell Jr. sentenced the rapper and movie actor  to 11 more months in prison for violating his probation. He will begin serving his time at a later date.

T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris Jr., asked for leniency.

"I screwed up," said Harris, wearing a three-piece gray suit. "I screwed up bigtime, and I'm sorry. I'm truly and sincerely sorry. I don't want and I don't need to use drugs anymore. I want them out of my life."

But Pannell was unmoved.

"The worst thing is this case was an experiment," Pannell said. The judge said he hoped the extraordinary sentence Harris initially received would work and could be adapted for use in other cases.

But then Pannell looked at Harris and said: "You certainly dumped a lot of smut on the whole experiment."

(Click here to read the full story on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website.)

No comments: